When I think back on the many projects I’ve started over my 55 years, it can certainly be mind-boggling. Some have been successful, others not so. Some have been a total failure, where you think ‘What on earth was I thinking there?!’
Sometimes I think ‘why start another something new - is it really worth it?’ Why not just get comfortable with getting older’ I cringe when I think of that! Do you ever think something like that? Do you sometimes think that you’re too old to start something new or afresh? Can I share something with you that made me think differently about getting older - oops - wiser? At a recent ‘Grow Your Speaking Biz’ workshop, I met a Lady who is 91, yes you read correctly, 91 years old! She is still going strong, speaking and happily doing her business. What an inspiration she is! To me anyway. So, rule out that excuse! There are countless other historic successful figures who were older when they first attempted something.
Today I would like to encourage you, if you have been thinking of starting something new, to just start. If you have been putting it off, don’t procrastinate any longer - just start. Don’t think that you might be too old or that you have failed way too often or that so many people have tried and failed. Or that your family or friends might think that you are ‘out of your mind’ and should be happy with what you have and that you should settle down.
Whatever it is that you want to do, just do it, give it a go! Especially now in the current world climate, what with the pandemic, it is just the right time to start a new project. This can be in your life or business. Don't think that you should wait until there are no more COVID cases around before you ramp up your business - now is the time to get into or remain in action. If you start now, and flex those action muscles then you are creating momentum. If you have always wanted to learn a new skill, why not start it now. There are so many businesses that have gone online or new ones that have started up. The internet is really a positive because it is making our world more connectable.
For want of an example you may want to learn to play the guitar, now that your business is ‘slow’. Something you have put off for way too long, right? 'But I don’t have a guitar’, you say. Think of a way you can get your hands on one! Don’t not start because you’re decided to use that as a 'poor' excuse. If you’re reading this, then you can google places to get hold of a guitar. Is your next excuse ‘We’re in lock down and the nearest music/guitar teacher/school is outside the allowed travel distance’ (you can tell I’m based in locked down Melbourne!!). Flex those delightful brain cells of yours and come up with ways you can learn the guitar from the comfort of your own home. Just saying.
If you are saying that your business is doomed because of the pandemic, I feel for you as it certainly has not been great for many people. Perhaps there is a way out. Have you thought of pivoting your business? Of recreating it, of giving it a face lift, so to say. It’s time to get your thinking caps on. Let me know if you need some ideas. Many business owners who were successful offline have now pivoted and gone fully online/virtual. Sure they’d be able to do both when our world gets back to the ‘new’ normal. I’m just saying that anything is possible. It doesn’t matter how wobbly it is when you start, as long as you start.
Here are 7 valuable tips for you to start TODAY:
- If you think it’s possible, then it is: Don't put off starting an idea. Create the goal or the vision by writing it down and chunking the big vision down into bite-size steps. Make it such a big vision that it feels scary, hairy and audacious. Does it make shivers go up and down your spine? Then it’s a great goal to work towards. If it feels achievable then do it, baby!
- Set the date for when you want to have that goal achieved by and work backwards. Ask yourself, is it something that I can control?
- Visualize/affirm the outcome daily. Think it, say it, write it WITH FEELING, you know EMOTION.
- Let go of the outcome. If you hold onto it too tightly, it may not happen. Let it go and wait for the magic to happen.
- Ahhhh remember to take ACTION! Alas, what you want will not fall into your lap unless you do the Action (believe it or not!) Consistently even if small action steps on a daily basis, and with fun. if it feels like a burden, you should not be doing it. Consistency will create the momentum.
- Team support/systems - Team work makes the dream work. Sometimes it just doesn’t work out if we try and do it on our own. ‘Ownsome' can be ‘lonesome’. Humans thrive on the drive which your team can create by giving you a gentle shove (or push!). Besides, accountability makes us go that extra mile. Just on a side note - I wrote/created this message to you, whilst sitting with my fellow online mastermind ‘dream team’. We were all working on our individual business tasks. It’s our accountability POD which makes me get things done, rather than put it off. I find mentor-ship and accountability ‘partners' extremely valuable. It keeps me focused and on my toes to move towards my dreams and goals in both my life and business.
- CELEBRATE and GIVE THANKS when you reach your goal- reward yourself. Make it a habit to celebrate your achievements. Find something special to do once you attain the goal. In fact, note what you’ll do even at the beginning when you set your goal. You might want to get a massage or go out for lunch with your family or buy a new piece of clothing.
Only 7 steps stand between you starting towards and reaching your goal! I hope that you find these tips helpful! Even if you have seen some version of these before, sometimes one or two might stand out this time. If you would like to have some support on how to create your goals around this framework or simply need someone to hold you accountable, please feel free to reach out to me for a quick chat.
Have an excellent week Stay safe and count your blessings.
Lots of love,